This program will distribute $250,000 in grants, up to $2,500 apiece, to women-identifying visual artists over the age of 40 who have been impacted by the COVID-19 crisis.
Anonymous Was A Woman (AWAW) has partnered with the New York Foundation for the Arts (NYFA) to launch an emergency relief grant program to support artists impacted by the COVID-19 crisis. The program will distribute $250,000 in unrestricted grants, up to $2,500 apiece, to artists who have experienced financial hardship from loss of income or opportunity as a direct result of the crisis. As with AWAW’s annual award, the program is open to women-identifying visual artists over the age of 40 in the United States and territories, and aims to address the unique challenges faced by artists in middle age or older, particularly at this critical time. A link to the application form will be made available here on Monday, April 6 at 10:00 AM EDT.
APPLICATION GOES LIVE ON SUBMITTABLE: Monday, April 6, 2020, 10:00 AM EDT
APPLICATION CLOSES: Wednesday, April 8, 2020, 6:00 PM EDT
APPLICATION NOTIFICATION: By Thursday, April 30, 2020
Due to anticipated high demand, applications will be accepted from Monday, April 6 through Wednesday, April 8. All applications will be reviewed after the closing date. Funds will be awarded to eligible applicants in the order in which applications are received.
WHO CAN APPLY?
- Applicants must be visual artists identifying as women (who work in Digital/New Media, Drawing, Film/Video, Installation, Painting, Photography, Sculpture).
- Applicants must be 40 years or older on the date their application is submitted.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate activity in their artistic discipline over the past 5 years.
- Applicants must show documented losses of income for the period of February 1 – July 30, 2020.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents in any of the 50 states, District of Columbia or U.S. territories.
- Description of losses along with documentation in the form of signed contracts, email confirmations, letters of agreement or materials describing the confirmed date of activity and fee to be paid.
- Proof of cancellation of activity in the form of state-based shutdown communication, email or personal communication about closure/job loss/opportunity postponement, etc).
- Amount requested. Any amount up to $2,500.
- Demonstration of artistic activity over the last 5 years. This can be in the form of a CV/resume, link to website, copies of press or recent grant awards.
- Proof of age. Upload passport or state-issued ID.
All questions should be directed to AWAW@nyfa.org